Reducing Car Accident Injury Risks In 2021
Car accidents in Aiken occur regularly and are one of the leading causes of personal injuries. Even a seemingly minor collision can leave you suffering major harm. In most cases, the reckless actions of others on the road are to blame. While you can’t control the actions of other drivers you encounter, there are steps you can take to better protect yourself. Review these tips on reducing car accident injury risks in 2021.
Protecting Yourself Against Car Accidents In Aiken
According to statistics from the South Carolina Department of Public Safety (SCDPS), close to 1,000 people have been killed in car accidents on roads throughout the state throughout 2020. Tens of thousands of other drivers and passengers have ended up with serious and potentially debilitating personal injuries. In many of these cases, the reckless actions of other drivers were ultimately to blame.
Whether you’re driving to and from work or school, running errands, or taking extended trips, it’s important to be aware of the actions you can take to reduce your risk of being in a car accident. You can also take precautions to reduce the severity of your injuries if an accident does occur. We suggest taking these six easy steps:
· Make sure your car is regularly maintained. Regularly checking tires, lights, and fluid levels is crucial. Taking your car in for needed maintenance and repairs can help you avoid mechanical issues that could cause a crash. It can also prevent you from being stuck on the side of the road, where you are vulnerable to other motorists.
· Allow plenty of time to reach your destination. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) warns that speeding is a factor in more than a third of all fatal car accidents. It not only increases the likelihood of a crash but also increases the severity of injuries.
· Stay focused on the road at all times. When driving, keep your hands on the steering wheel, eyes on the road, and mind focused on the task at hand at all times. Avoid talking on cell phones, texting, changing GPS, or any activity that could distract you and increase your crash risks.
· Avoid getting baited by other drivers. Avoid aggressive driving behaviors such as tailgating and failure to yield. Also be sure to steer clear of other drivers who engage in such conduct. Stay calm and avoid taking the bait if they get aggressive with you.
· Be aware of problems that impact your driving abilities. Most people are aware of the risks involved with drunk driving. However, even having one or two drinks, taking certain types of medication, or being excessively tired can impair your driving abilities.
· Wear a seatbelt at all times. Collisions cannot always be avoided. In the event one occurs, a seatbelt could save your life.
Contact Our Aiken Car Accident Attorney
These tips on reducing car accident injury risks are meant to further protect you in 2021. However, despite your precautions, potentially serious car accident injuries can still happen. At the Surasky Law Firm, we help you get the compensation you need to recover. To request a consultation, contact our Aiken car accident attorney today.